Excuse my putting off uploading this update, I’ve been swamped not only with tons of work… I’ve been juggling both my day job and an up and coming business the sibs and I are cooking up. I think the dreary and gloomy weather is not helping at all. Back here in the Philippines it’s definitely the monsoon season.
Well, to turn this downer of a weather around.. I’m sharing 2 lovely recipes fit for a Mediterranean summer feast! 🙂
So let’s get down to the biz..
Grilled Aussie Beef Strips & Vegetables
with Cucumber Yogurt Slaw
For the Beef
1/2 pound Australian beef tenderloin strips
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce (you can use 1/4 teaspoon salt instead)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (you can add more if you like it peppery)
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Cucumber Yogurt Slaw
6 oz. plain yogurt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded & grated
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Mix in all ingredients for your marinade (oregano, thyme, soy sauce, pepper and olive oil). Marinate your beef strips and let sit for at least 30 mins. (The more time you let it sit the better.)
2. In the meantime, prep the cucumber yogurt slaw. Using your hands, squeeze out the excess water from the cucumber shavings. (You can also use a sieve and press the water out if you like.) Now, in a bowl, mix the cucumber shavings together with all the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In a griddle over medium-high heat, grill the marinated beef until cooked. Baste leftover marinade onto the meat while grilling. You can also grill some sliced up veggies like onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
4. Place grilled meat and veggies on a bed of green lettuce and serve with your prepped slaw.
with Grilled Squash and Black Olives
Recipe inspired by The South Beach Diet Recipe
For the Chicken
4 (6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 teaspoons olive oil
For the Veggies
3/4 pound squash, sliced a bit thin
1 small onion
2 gloves of garlic, sliced
1/3 cup black olives, sliced
1. Pound your chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper to about 1/4 inch thick. (This makes sure they get evenly cooked.)
2. Prep your ras al-hanut (this one’s a Moroccan spice blend.. consisting of all the the dry ingredients in our list.) Grate a bit of the zest from the lemon onto the spice mix. Squeeze in about a tablespoon of the lemon juice as well. Stir in your olive oil.
3. Now spread the wet rub onto both sides of the pounded chicken. In a griddle over medium-high heat, grill the chicken until outside’s blackened and cooked through. You can grill the squash on the same griddle as well. Set aside the cooked chicken and squash separately.
4. Now on a pan, place a bit olive oil for sautéing. Place the onions. Once the onions are a bit softened and translucent add in the garlic . Sauté some more. Toss in the grilled squash and the black olives.
5. Serve chicken together with the squash & olives with a lemon wedge.
That’s it! Go on and create your own summer feast 🙂
Can’t wait to soak my feet on the sand the next summer!